While often overlooked, the foundation of your home plays a crucial role. Weak foundations pose risks, especially in Texas with its extreme weather and soil erosion. To protect your home, follow these tips:
1. Controlled Sprinkler System: Install a timer-controlled sprinkler that waters the foundation twice a day to prevent excessive drying and contraction.
2. Effective Drainage: Ensure proper drainage to redirect excess water away from the foundation walls and prevent soil expansion.
3. Clear Downspouts: Clean and extend downspouts to direct rainwater at least five feet away from the foundation or divert it to a storm drain.
4. Soil Moisture Maintenance: During dry periods, supplement sprinklers with French drains and soaker hoses to keep the soil adequately saturated.
5. Proper Grading: Slope the yard away from the house to divert water from the foundation. If necessary, consider installing a French drain.
6. Embedded Foundation: Maintain compacted soil around the foundation, ensuring it extends 2″ below the brick line to retain moisture.
7. Distance from Trees: Plant trees and shrubs a significant distance away from the house to prevent roots from extracting moisture.
8. Maintain Short Shrubs: Limit the height of shrubs to three feet or less to prevent excessive root development and minimize moisture extraction from the soil.
9. Proper Positioning of Lawn Sprinklers: Ensure lawn sprinklers are positioned to avoid watering the foundation directly. Be cautious not to overwater, as it can lead to water pooling near the foundation. Remember to turn off sprinklers during rainy days to prevent excessive water accumulation.
10. Thoughtful Concrete Planning: When constructing concrete driveways, paths, and sidewalks, ensure they are designed to divert water away from the house, preventing ponding near the foundation. Consider the balance between concrete constructions and watered gardens to avoid potential imbalances.
Implementing these ten tips will safeguard your home’s foundation and overall structural integrity. If you detect signs of foundation issues, address them promptly by contacting G.L.Hunt for a complimentary estimate. Our professional team offers reliable foundation repair services in San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth, prioritizing customer satisfaction and delivering quality solutions.